Sunday, May 27, 2007

What's Next

Do you remember the paramis? In case you don’t remember, here they are in short form:

· Dāna parami : generosity, giving of oneself

· Sīla parami : virtue, morality, proper conduct

· Nekkhamma parami : renunciation

· Paññā parami : transcendental wisdom, insight

· Viriya parami : energy, diligence, vigour, effort

· Khanti parami : patience, tolerance, forbearance, acceptance, endurance

· Sacca parami : truthfulness, honesty

· Adhiṭṭāna parami : determination, resolution

· Mettā parami : loving-kindness

· Upekkhā parami : equanimity, serenity

I know I said in Free at Last that I reject structure, but now that I’ve stepped away from it, I miss it. Isn’t that always the way – we don’t like something someone some act some whatever or other and then when it’s not around, we yearn for it. I miss the structure. It’s good for me. I think.

I’ve been tossing an idea around for a few weeks and I’m still not sure how I feel about it. Unlike the paramis where I just stepped right in it and had not choice but to wipe it off my boot, my idea is a bit more premeditated. I’ve been looking for a structure to prevent me from posting random thoughts. I considered going over the paramis again, but I can’t be bothered with that right now. So, I’m thinking of using the Dhammapada as a structure.

Over the next 26 days, I’m going to cover the 26 chapters of the Dhammapada. I am using a pocket-sized copy which I have carried nearly every day since 1990 – in truth, it has gone unopened for years at a time, but I’ve still carried it. This particular version is the one published by Shambhala Press in 1993 translated by Thomas Byrom,.

Now, don't get your hopes up. I know nothing at all. As many times as I have read the Dhammapada, I know less and more and everything I’ve learned has turned into something else. I should know more than I do now. I should keep my mouth shut. I should not think so much.

It’s an experiment, Like business or science or marriage or procreation or the idea that we are all better than average drivers, it has a very good chance of failure. But, I will try to get through these 26 topics, if, for nothing else, the structure.

There is one problem. In a few days time, I will be heading into the jungle where there are no internet connections or cell phone service. I am expecting to spend a week or two there. As a result, I will not be able to post on a daily basis. Internet connection or not, my plan is to spend some time each day on each of these subjects. That’s the structure for the next month. Let’s see how it goes.

No comments: