Monday, May 28, 2007

Wakefulness

Wakefulness is the second chapter of the Dhammapada.
I only have about 2 minutes to say something about wakefulness because I am running late to catch a bus. Maybe just a quote to contemplate while I head up the Nam Ou in Luang Prabang Province, Laos.

"The beggar who guards his mind
And fears the waywardness of his thoughts
Burns through every bond
With the fire of his vigilance.

The beggar who guards his mind
and fears his own confusion
Cannot fall.
He has found the way to peace."
-Dhammapada
While I type these words, I wonder how much more peace there can be. Can I help it along in some way. Can I guard my mind from wayward thoughts and become a better person? Can I reject confusion and serve as an example somewhere to a more peaceful world? We will just have to wait and see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hope your travels are well. miss your posts, so hurry on back to being connected soon.