Thursday, May 03, 2007

Determination

Determination, the 8th Buddhist Perfection, has a strong resonance with me these days. Lately, my determination has been tested to its limits. With patience, I can remain dedicated to my purpose; with proper conduct I can get much further. My task, which has taken the majority of this week, is to find a translation, a synopsis or even an oral rendition of a Jataka. Specifically, I am looking for the Balansahkhya Jataka. It is a story of a Prince Pookharabat aka Pasangkanga and his magic fan. Apparently, this was the incarnation just prior to Buddha’s enlightenment. This story is painted on the interior of Wat Sisaket, a temple in Vientiane, Laos. It is one of the oldest paintings in the country. I thought finding this information would be a breeze.


Monks, scholars, Ministries of Information and Culture look blank faced at me when I ask them to tell me this story. If they are helpful, they will say something remotely related such as ‘the temple was never destroyed’. If they are not helpful, they will just shake their head and say no – sometimes they giggle. I know this is mostly my failure to arrive prepared with a common language, but I am resolute in my goal.

Today, I met with a man at the site of the mural who was introduced to me as a scholar who has written a book on the subject. It was a bit early for my morning routine, but excited at the prospect of at last acquiring some information, I rushed off to the Wat for the rendezvous. The exchange was dismal. There was a book, but no more. The lady no have.

Adhittāna parami compels me to persist in finding out the story. “Did you write a book about Wat Sisaket?” I ask him calmly.

‘Yes, but no more.’ Printing more books seems ludicrous for some reason.

‘Can you tell me the story in the mural?’ I ask. Naturally I have to flip the question six ways before any glimmer of understanding. I think it’s a reasonable question. I’m over estimating the situation. He wants to ask me where I’m from, what guesthouse I’m staying, how long I’m staying in Laos – all standard fare. I’m not angry or upset with him, but I’m disappointed. The blank face doesn’t help matters.

I asked my associate/translator why we met this man. She doesn’t know. She arranged the meeting, but has no idea why we met him. Yesterday she knew the agenda. Today, she is more concerned with the lewd remarks the security guard made.

I asked a French scholar, thinking he might have some insight. He wanted only to be a smart ass and play with words, insisting if it is the last incarnation of Buddha, then it is the incarnation right now. His thirst for clever debate is not welcome and I thank him curtly and walk away.

I think most people would, at this point, accept the writing, or painting, on the wall and just drop the subject entirely. However, I have yoked my mind, heart and soul to something for which I have a great passion. I am determined to find out this story to share with others. That is the point perhaps, to find endless determination by harnessing our passion and not giving up.

As side note:

In all fairness to the many people who have tried to help me to no avail, the story/Jataka was forgotten until very recently. Although a very popular tale two hundred years ago, it was lost during the many invasions of Laos and the destruction of the city. It was not until the year 2000 that Dr. Catherine Raymond discovered pieces of the long-lost manuscript in nearby temples. I am hopeful Dr. Raymond will be able to assist me on my quest.

The restoration of the mural is at a standstill. In recent years, there has been some funding towards restoring this important UNESCO candidate (status pending), but at this point, this historic piece of work is deteriorating at a rapid pace.

National Treasure to be Restored

Project to Preserve Murals at Vat Sisaket Ends

As a further side note, this Jataka, Achieving Nothing, I read after writing this entry. It made me smile and relax a little bit.

No comments: