Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Little More Renunciation

I want to talk a little more about Renunciation, Nekkhamma parami, the third Buddhist Perfection. I want to talk about it because it is one of the trickier ones. The point I last made on the subject was, “my biggest possession – the most significant shackle around my ankles – is my thoughts”. When I wrote it, I knew I was leaving out a big part of the picture, but time was of the essence, so I let it be. Now, I want to expand on renunciation of thoughts.

“O seeker!
Give up desire.
Shake off your chains.”
- Dhammapada – The Sayings of Buddha

In case you haven’t noticed, desire is a very big part of our lives. We have entire cultures who thrive on desire. We desire things. We desire others. We desire being desired.

But there are other thoughts, thoughts we need to help us advance. Within our cultures, the same cultures that thrive on desire, we thrive on thoughts which move us along the path towards a greater good.

Health, contentment, and trust
Are your greatest possessions.
And freedom your greatest joy.
- Dhammapada

So do not make the mistake so many people do in faiths: do not highlight the juicy part and disregard the boring part. Do not think that, in the early stages, you will successfully wipe out all thoughts and abandon all possessions. Instead, accept your thoughts, try to harness those, use those which are positive for your advantage. Take it a little bit at a time, lean away from desire and towards trust. Do not dismiss sexual desire and forget to be silly. Do not rise above vanity and disregard cleanliness. Do not seek a better life and renounce reality.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mahalo again for your thoughts. i like how you turn the words. "turn away from desire and towards trust." though being as much hedonist as buddhist, i would perhaps say "turn towards desire and trust" as in my life they often deliver me to the same destination: life is good.