Friday, June 15, 2007

Yourself

“Never neglect your work for another’s,
However great his need.

Your work is to discover your work
And then with all your heart
To give yourself to it.”
- Dhammapada

Once, two great boons to corporate humanity merged. During the merger, there were natural and normal reactions to new policies, procedures and ethics. I worked there. I stuck it out for a while. Some of us jumped ship immediately. Others stuck it out knowing things would eventually settle down. One of my colleagues, for whom I had a great deal of respect, left to teach school in an emerging country – Tibet it might have been. His decision increased my respect for him and also made me want to follow the same type of course.

My departure from Initech had less to do with my dissatisfaction with the company and more to do with my personal discontent. Although I had done very well in business, I was not following my passion. And time was moving on.

I don’t know how common it is for people to know what they want to do and not pursue it. I’m guessing there are quite a few people out there who are not happy with what they are doing. I’m also guessing a very small percentage of those people know what they would do if they could.

Part of this experiment of mine is to do something that means something. Although it may seem the jury is still deliberating on the verdict, I spend each day with my heart fully committed to my dreams. For now, that is quite sufficient. Maybe someday I will find out that in some small way, I made a difference.

No comments: