Friday, June 15, 2007

Violence

 

He who seeks happiness
By hurting those who seek happiness
Will never find happiness.

            -Dhammapada

 

It is difficult to be in Laos and not think about violence.  For those who are not aware of the Secret War, here is a brief history of the situation.  Laos holds the title of the most bombed country in the world.  During the American war in Vietnam, North Vietnamese supply routes ran through eastern Laos, specifically, the Ho Chi Min Trail.  In addition, a significant, but debatable number of North Vietnamese troops were occupying Laos, assisting in Hanoi’s move to bring Laos into the fold of communism via the Pathet Lao party.  As part of a Geneva Conference agreement, it was determined to be illegal to involve a third country in an existing war.  The US was providing military assistance to South Vietnam and involved Laos in the fight between North and South Vietnam.  It’s a complex story, but basically, the United States CIA set up a private air charter company called Air America to provide air support over Laos and the Ho Chi Min Trail.  US President Richard Nixon finally acknowledged US involvement in Laos in March, 1970 – 5 years after continuous bombing in Laos had begun.

I look around the village where I am staying and I have counted at least 1 septuagenarian and 4 others who are quickly approaching.  In a country where life expectancy is about 55 years of age, the sight of very old people is notable.  Very delicately, I asked a local villager who was a child at the time of the war how the village was so lucky to have so many very old residents.  He explained that the villagers had taken refuge in the many caves in the area and that is why so many people have survived to know their great great grandchildren.  It’s quite beautiful to see a 107 year old woman look endearingly at the brood around them in a place that once was a living hell.  They don’t seem to be all that resentful.  They seem to have moved on to better things.


The other night, in a village upriver of where I am staying, a Welshman and a Frenchman got into a bit of a scuffle.  Allegedly, the Frenchman attacked the Welshman because he was talking too much.  The Welshman never struck back and now has a big net of bandages over his bruised and ring-slashed nose.  The Frenchman was charged with a $100 fine; the Welshman was fined $50.  Apparently, the Frenchman was trying to “knock some sense into” the other.


I can see how the guy from Wales might annoy others.  He speaks in a very strange collection of Thai, Laos and mostly English.  And he does so non-stop.  On a few occasions, when speaking with him, I have watched for an opportunity to politely excuse myself so that I can get away from his racket.  However, the idea of beating him in the face and trying to throw him over a balcony never crossed my mind.


There are so many people in this world that annoy me.  In fact, I find most people to be annoying for one reason or another.  However, I’m not looking to be annoyed.  I’m not looking to be bothered by the things that other people want to do.  I’m not asking anyone to retool their mindset to better accommodate my own preferences.  I really can’t be asked to ruin my day simply because I find someone else lacking in one way or another.  It’s their affair, not mine, and I always have the choice to rise above annoyance and seek my own happiness.  I always have the choice to retreat to a cave – maybe it’s not ideal, but it’s effective.  When it’s over, I will come out of the cave, and resume my life fishing and planting and harvesting and singing and watching the people around me grow old.

 

 

No comments: