Friday, May 25, 2007

Dog Beua

There is a prayer, or mantra, in Tibetan Buddhism: Om mani padme hum. It doesn’t translate into English well. The most common translation is ‘The jewel is in the lotus’, which doesn’t get us very far in understanding the meaning. For a very long time, I have worn a ring which has this mantra written on it, in Tibetan script. Most recently, for no specific reason, I have worn the ring on my right ring finger.

In Laos, many people ask me about it. Not only do they wear wedding rings on either the left or right hand, but the script is vaguely similar to Laos script since both Tibet and Laos written language have shared origins in Pali and Sanskrit. Although I enjoy the inquiries, it is not a short conversation.

First, I have to explain that I am ‘poo bow’ – a single man. Naturally, this is met with surprise and playful flirtation and sometimes a rather awkward discussion about someone’s daughter, mother, niece, etc. Then, I have to explain the meaning of Om mani padme hum – the jewel is in the lotus. I’ve translated the English translation into Laos, ‘Kuang mii kaa nái dog beua’. Needless to say, this seems to perplex the person more than the English version.

It’s easy when talking with English-speaking Christians about this. I simply say ‘God exists within all things’. This seems to be a satisfactory translation and a palatable thought. However, when dealing with Laos Buddhists through a very thick accent (to them, I must sound like a 2 year old with a speech impediment), it’s far more challenging. Over the past year, I have had the conversation enough times that I can now get my point across in less than 5 minutes without the use of illustrations (I’ve decided my illustrations all look like low budget, sci-fi erotica, so I’ve abandoned them).

What is most surprising in these discussions is the apparent skepticism once the message has been received. At first, when I point to myself and say ‘Buddha in me’, they nod in agreement. Then I point to them and say ‘Buddha in you’ again, they agree. Yet, when I point to a child or a woman or a dog or a beggar, Doi turns to baw; yes, turns to no. I’m not 100% certain why.

Yes, there is a good amount of archaic thinking about women’s role in Laos society. However, Laos women are remarkably strong and resilient and they are frequently passionate about their spirituality. In my day-to-day observations, I don’t see a lot of people considering women weak or inferior. In terms of the beggar, there is a distinction between rich and poor, but many of the monks come from very poor families – often times it is because of poverty that they will join a monastery in order to get an education. I may be pushing it when I point to a dog, but in the true essence of the mantra, the dog has a chance at nirvana, also. (as a side-note, in
Jack Grace band’s latest news letter he said ‘Dogs are more relaxed about sex than you are’ – I had to laugh!). Back to my point, if I have one.

I really can’t determine which is the truth. Sometimes, I think it is a combination of archaic thinking, class-ism, sexism and maybe a few other ism’s that make Om mani padme hum not acceptable. Other times, I think this idea – the idea of the Buddha-nature being in all of us – is so much a part of Laos culture that intellectualizing it is just pointless, crazy-talk.

Once you have learned the way to enlightenment, you must – or more accurately, you will by nature of enlightenment itself – throw away all that you think. Maybe I think too much. I probably do. Still, I can’t get my head around the reactions, given they so naturally demonstrate the jewel in the lotus in their day to day world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find that virtually all religions and their practitioners fail frequently at seeing God and the divine everywhere. It's like reality constantly pushing us towards that familiar conflict: "be spiritual or be realistic. Don't take things to extremes." I happen to believe rocks and garbage and alcoholics are as much the divine as you and me. Spirit truly is everywhere. Some days I wander and just smile at all the ways spirit expresses itself through form. Other days I don't care who's spirit, I just want them out of my way! I don't think one is better, but I prefer the feeling of the first one - when I am smilling and not feeling stressed or limited by others.