Sunday, April 22, 2007

Perception

“He take all my money!” she explains. “He fucking my friend. He tell me to go away. He no want me any more. Two years together, now, no good.” She is heartbroken, I can see that. She is frightened – she does not want to go back to being a working girl. I try to help her. I tell her to be patient. I tell her to find people who can help her stay out of the business. Around us, people only see a falang trying to pick up a whore. Perception is everything in this world.

Far away… “I can just head back to XYZ Company.” He is confident in his delusion. “Yeah, no one can operate as many things as me.” the lies, the self-aggrandizement is endless. He has not worked in months. Not even the most desperate of employers would touch him in this state. But he thinks they are all just waiting for his call. Perception is everything in this world.

I’m going to make this happen. I try to convince myself that my plans are not all that far fetched. I take a persistent approach. I fail. I try again. I get drunk and hung-over and recover. I tell myself again and again, the only failure is the failure to try. I am trying. Perception is everything in this world.

No comments: